Monday, April 25, 2011

April Showers Bring May Flowers




April Showers Bring May Flowers

I think everyone has heard this saying at one point in their life. I know I have heard this since the time I was a little girl. April always seemed to be a rainy month but the first of May brought the May pole and May baskets and lots and lots of beautiful flowers! In school when we decroated the calendar board we would always have lots of raindrops and dark clouds and little boys and girls jumping in water puddles holding a umbrella.



This month of April has been very rainy in Iowa. In fact I think in the past two weeks we have only seen a couple days of sunny weather! Iowa has been very lucky though with the storms that have recently hit the U.S. As I am typing this Arkansas is being hit with tornadoes. Just last week there were 289 tornadoes in 3 days in 15 states! Holy Moly! What is up with so many storms?!?!

I am one of the many people that love to watch and listen to the rain and thunder. In fact a thunderstorm helps me sleep at night. These storms that are happening in the States is something that I have never seen before. Now dont get me wrong, I am sure we have had many outbreaks in storms like this before but I never cared to pay attention before. The past 5 years or so I have been watching the weather more and mother nature. I remember almost 20 years ago a horrible flood in the state of Iowa but I dont remember the storms. With age I have become more aware of what mother nature can do.

Since the earthquake in Japan last month I have been watching the weather and I get allerts on earthquakes that are over a 6.0. What do I make of all this? Mother Nature is pissed and she needs to let off some steam. Who could blame her? Do I think this is the end of the world? LOL No

I will be watching and recording the weather this year and then comparing what happened this year to the years to come. I hope that the major storms that have been happening the past couple weeks start to die down as we get closer to summer. In the meantime this rain that Iowa we are getting is very much welcomed to my flowers and garden and also my sleep! I have been sleeping much better since most nights I got to bed with the sound of rain on my window.

April showers bring May flowers?? This year the saying is true!

No comments:

Post a Comment